Physical Signs of Drug Abuse
There are many types of drugs, illegal and prescription. And once drug use has started, behavioral changes will be the first flags. However, after a while, changes in physical appearance and health will begin to show up.
Here is a short list of signs and symptoms that might indicate drug abuse:
· Frequent nosebleeds
· Continued sniffing and blowing of the nose without other flu-like symptoms
· Flushed or very pale complexion
· Open sores on arms, face or neck
· Pupils dilated or constricted
· Smell of volatile substances like alcohol or solvents
· Sudden change in sleep habits, insomnia or oversleeping
· Trembling of the hands and feet or facial muscles
· Uncharacteristic hyperactivity
Of course, remember, these are indications of possible drug abuse in the individual. These symptoms can be the result of other factors. However, the greater number of these symptoms present, the greater the chance that the person is addicted to, or at least abusing drugs.
What are the main symptoms of physical dependence on a drug?
Your body will respond when you cease drinking or using your drug of choice. At that point, you start experiencing withdrawal symptoms, which can range from mild to severe.
What Is Physical Dependence?
* Clammy skin.
* Disrupted sleep.
What are the warning signs that someone might have a substance abuse problem?
Warning Signs of Substance and Alcohol Use Disorder
* Bloodshot eyes, pupils larger or smaller than usual.
* Changes in appetite or sleep patterns.
* Deterioration of physical appearance, personal grooming habits.
* Runny nose or sniffling.
* Sudden weight loss or weight gain.
* Tremors, slurred speech, or impaired coordination.
What are characteristics of substance abuse?
Using drugs or alcohol even with continued relationship problems caused by use. Giving up or reducing activities because of drug or alcohol use. Taking risks, such as sexual risks or driving under the influence. Continually using drugs or alcohol even though it is causing or adding to physical or psychological problems .
What is an example of physical dependence?
For example, increased exposure to nicotine can increase physical dependence and thereby make the effects of withdrawal stronger. During withdrawal, resumption of smoking provides rapid relief of withdrawal effects. This reaction may lead the smoker to believe that smoking in itself enhances mood.
What are four common signs and symptoms of prescription drug abuse?
Common symptoms of prescription drug abuse include:
* Drug-seeking behaviors.
* Taking higher doses than prescribed.
* Appearing to be intoxicated, overly energetic, or lethargic.
* Changes in sleeping and eating patterns.
* Increased usage of alcohol.
* Mood swings relating to availability of prescription medications.
What are some examples of addictive behaviors?
Examples of behavioral addictions may include:
* Risky or defiant behaviors, like stealing, lying, or speeding.
* Video Games.
* Internet Use.
* Social Media.